I finally updated the list of automatic cars currently available in India today after close to a year.
Now the list has 12 vehicles with the Dzire, Rapid and Fiesta petrols being added newly. Verna details are updated with the new Fluidic which comes both in petrol and diesel. Civic , Cruze and Corolla have been moved out as they do not come under 16L.
Here is the complete list of automatic vehicles costing under 16 lakhs (on road-Chennai):
- Reva Maini (CVT)(Electric)
- Maruti Suzuki A-Star VXI AT(4 speed)(Petrol)
- Hyundai I10 1.2 Kappa Sportz (4 speed)(Petrol)
- Maruti Suzuki Dzire 1.2 (AT) (4 speed)(Petrol)
- Hyundai I20 1.4 Gamma – Sportz AT (4 speed)(Petrol)
- Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 – Petrol and Diesel Automatic (4 speed)
- Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXI AT( 4 speed)(Petrol)
- Honda City(4 speed with paddle shift)(Petrol)
- Ford Fiesta Powershift ( 6 speed, Dual Clutch)(Petrol)
- Skoda Rapid AT (6 Speed)(Petrol)
- Volkswagen Vento Highline 1.6 (6 speed)(Petrol)
- Scorpio VLX AT(6 speed) (Diesel)
Only the Verna comes with a petrol and a diesel automatic. Most of the vehicles on the list are petrols and it seems very obvious that Indian Manufacturers expect the automatics to be primarily used for shorter distances where the diesel advantage of mileage is not required. The Ford fiesta alone stands out as a petrol with 6 speeds, dual clutch system and very decent ride and handling.
Also the automatic versions typically higher in price than their equivalent manual siblings. Add a diesel engine to the mix and the pricing may very well come from one segment higher. So usually the automatic comes only with a petrol.
The post I had shared in 2011 March about Automatic transmission vehicles is here with the original list and some myths about automatics. With the traffic one has to face in Indian cities – the automatic will become a definite must have for some reduced stress.
Some vehicles being talked about that may come out later this year with Automatic Transmissions are the Nissan Sunny and the Tata Aria. The Reva NXR that has been talked about for years will also have a CVT – whenever it gets launched.
Now that Maruti has the 4 speed auto on the DZire – when can we see it on the Swift ?
How about an automatic Figo and Ecosport ?
Automatic Jazz / Brio anyone ?
Automatic Fabia / Polo ?
Tata is conspicuous by its absence in this list – they need to get something done regarding this soon.